The purpose of this committee is to engage and involve students across Western Canada in the Western Canada Chapter of the Society for Ecological Restoration (SER-WC). Students on this committee will have the opportunity to investigate and explore restoration projects in their geographical area, network with restoration professionals working on these projects, gain valuable experience in science communication through the promotion of ecological restoration across social media platforms, as well as share best practices and knowledge with restoration practitioners.
The committee will be composed of 8-10 students from across Western Canada, ideally 1-2 students from each province/territory.
- Currently registered in undergraduate or graduate studies at a recognized post-secondary institution, and/or currently registered in a certificate/diploma program at a recognized post-secondary institution.
- Must reside in one of the following provinces/territories: Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, British Columbia, Northwest Territories, or the Yukon.
- Must be a member of the Society for Ecological Restoration (Western Canada Chapter). *You can still apply if you are not a member, but you will be required to obtain a membership if elected to the committee.
Individuals interested in participating on this committee are invited to submit a cover letter and resume or CV to firstname.lastname@example.org by 6:00 pm (MST) on September 9, 2018.
- Attend one committee meeting per month via conference call
- Five hours per month dedicated to committee responsibilities
- Attend additional meetings as required
- Attend SER-WC Annual General Meeting
- Serve a one-year term on the committee (*Vice-Chair serves a two-year term, moving into the Chair position in the second year).
Committee Requirements & Responsibilities
- As a committee, publish 2-3 articles per month highlighting:
- Local restoration projects
- Restoration professionals
- Restoration techniques
- As a committee, post 2-3 photos per week on social media (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram). Ideas include:
- Local Restoration projects
- Before & After shots
- Restoration techniques
- Restoration professionals at work
- As a committee, interview 2-5 restoration professionals per year about current topics
- Brainstorm, plan, and implement 1-2 social media campaigns per year that promote restoration
- Plan and execute an SER-WC student event (can be multiple events in different locations as well)
- BE CREATIVE – THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX
For more information on position descriptions and responsibilities, click here.